Rainbow Pasta Bolognese - Q's Kitchen

Rainbow Pasta Bolognese

The seasons have finally changed and the cold weather is upon us, I have been acutely aware of this because I've already caught a cold, twice. When this happens I have to resort to my mum's chicken soup recipe, it is full of good stuff and I usually feel better after having had it, but here's a little secret, I hate soup (particularly chicken soup). Yet I do know that a lot of people actually enjoy it, a friend of mine used to have soup everyday for lunch.. willingly. 
It was her idea of comfort food. Now I'm a big advocate of each to their own and all that, but my idea of comfort food contrasts significantly, right now I'm thinking melty cheese (in any form), pasta and hot pudding. All of the carbs and calories, oops. But its fine because according to the internet, comfort food provides a nostalgic or sentimental value to someone and may be characterised by its high caloric nature, high carbohydrate level, or simple preparation
So pasta definitely ticks all of these boxes and for me it is the epitome of comfort food!  
As you may or may not know, I'm definitely more of a dessert girl but this particular recipe is one of the first main course meals I successfully made. It is still my go-to for when I have to cook something that doesn't include sugar, as its a particularly forgiving recipe and turns out delicious every time. 
By no means is it authentic Italian but what it lacks in cultural authenticity it more than makes up for in flavour. Side note, this reminds me of what an Italian coursemate in uni used to say; people will put tomato sauce on anything and call it Italian. So I'm not about to do that, in fact if anything this pasta has a desi twist i.e. it is on the spicier side and it is is packed with flavour, owing to the combination of spices, vegetables, meat and sauce. 
(Speaking of Italian I have to mention last weeks GBBO, I guess sfogliatelle is next on my baking list, just kidding!) 

To make this Rainbow Pasta Bolognese, start with the following ingredients:
- Pasta
- Tomato Puree
- Tinned plum tomatoes
- Onions, ginger, garlic
- Bell peppers, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, mushroom
 Begin by bringing a large pan of salted water to a boil and add two cereal bowls worth of pasta. Give it a stir, turn the heat to low and leave to simmer for around 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. 
Drain and set aside when required (this is to be done whilst you are making the pasta sauce so both components are ready at around the same time).
Make a start on the pasta sauce base by blending together 2 onions, 2 cloves of garlic and an inch of ginger using an electric hand mixer.
Heat around 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pan, to this add in the onion blend and cook until golden brown.
Now for the spices; 1 tblsp salt, 1 tblsp mixed herbs, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp tandoori masala, 1/2 tsp garam masala.
Stir this into the onion blend and allow it to sizzle.
Now stir in a around 4-5 tablespoons of tomato puree and 1/2 a cup of water and incorporate.
If wanting to add meat to the dish then this is the stage at which to do it - add in 1 pound of chicken mince and keep stirring it on low heat to ensure that the meat does not clump up. 
Keep doing this until the chicken is cooked i.e. white in colour, the meat will also release its own liquid and you need to allow for this to evaporate. Cook until the desired consistency is reached.
Now for the tinned tomato, blend the contents in a jug beforehand to ensure there are no lumps then pour this into the pan.
Add in the vegetables (aka the rainbow) and cook for a few minutes. 
To create the sauce consistency mix in 3/4 of a cup of water and a splash of Piri piri sauce (this is the one that I use), put the lid on the pan and leave in to cook on low heat until the vegetables are sufficiently cooked through. Taste test and add more salt if required.
Finally, add the drained pasta to the sauce and gently stir to incorporate.
Serve hot, with added cheese if desired.
This also makes a great pasta bake/lasagna if you layer with béchamel sauce, top with grated cheddar and bake in the oven (let me know if you want the exact recipe!)
😋
Enjoy!
 Q x  

No comments